INNOVATIONS FOR BETTER LIVING
How charging members a small monthly fee challenges the linear retail industry
Singular Society’s concept is fundamentally different and at the same time pretty straightforward, says Erik Zetterberg, creative director and co-founder.
September 29, 2021
Instead of the traditional model, to make money from short-term product sales, Zetterberg explains how the members-based startup charges their members a small monthly fee.
— We then offer everything in the assortment as a service, at the price of what it costs to make. Responsibly made life essentials in the highest possible quality, by some of the world’s best manufacturers, he says.
You call this ”the next generation of retail”. But how do you contribute to better living?
— As mentioned, our model enables us to offer our members high-quality products that are responsibly made and will hopefully last for a lot longer. As we only sell to our members as a service, it allows us to not over-produce, and we hope that it can over time lead to less over-production as well, as our goal is to help our members buy less, but better.
What else do you have coming?
— To name a few highlights for fall, we’re expanding our cashmere range and adding more clothing and outerwear. We’re also introducing stainless steel cutlery and amazing kitchen knives, as well as our perhaps biggest and most ambitious category launch yet: a full collection of state-of-the-art skiwear and accessories, including skis made in collaboration with Åre Skidfabrik in Sweden.
This is #19 on our list with 25 Innovations for better living from Scandinavian MIND Issue 2
1. Here’s the first furniture brand to publish their climate footprint
2. Unique Bio2 textile can make a change in our polluted world
3. Patented technology can turn the eyewear industry circular
4. Filtration technology saves you from hidden pollution at home
5. This Swedish collective launches line with skincare for objects
6. Powder to liquid wash can change personal care as we know it
7. This household product line cleans with all-natural sugar surfactants
8. Spinnova’s textile fibre might be the world’s most groundbreaking
9. Here’s how AI can be used to create your ultimate personal scent
10. Design brand Verk takes local production one — big — step further
11. CAKE is here to challenge the status quo for motorbikes
12. This solar cell can be powered by ordinary indoor light
13. Revolutionary reusable sanitary protection is about to hit the market
14. A green version of the super-material graphene transforms the industry
15. Groundbreaking recyling app teams up with the world’s leading brands
16. This Finnish eco-design brand’s toilet is made of wood
17. Cleantech scaleup aims to liberate the world from harmful energy
18. Post-consumer textiles and wood cellulose become new sustainable fibre
20. Private, well-designed zero distraction units can create better workplaces